On September 22nd, the Morro Bay City Council will deliberate on whether to support or oppose the nomination of the Chumash Heritage National Marine Sanctuary. As a member of San Luis Obispo County, we urge you to attend this meeting and support the sanctuary.
Meeting location details:
Tuesday, Sept. 22, 6 p.m.
Veterans Memorial Hall, 209 Surf Street, Morro Bay, CA
At this meeting you will have a chance to speak when the council prepares to discuss the agenda item on the sanctuary. (Note: Not during the general public comment period for items not on the agenda, which occurs at the beginning of the meeting.) You will have 3 minutes to speak.
Here are topic points you should share with Councilmembers:
- I support the Chumash Heritage National Marine Sanctuary nomination
- Share you simple message of support. Ideas you can include in your message:
- It is time for permanent protection for our coast
- Oil is not good for fishing
- We want “Big Blue Live” in our part of the ocean (see http://www.pbs.org/big-blue-
- Sanctuaries are good for our coastal economy
- Support the nomination and give our communities a chance to have this discussion
There will be Sanctuary opponents at the meeting. If you want to use your time to respond to one or two of those arguments, the best source is the September issue of the Santa Lucian, newsletter of the Santa Lucia Chapter of the Sierra Club. (See “Sanctuary’s Foes,” page 2.)
Remarks delivered in person are always more powerful and carry the most weight with the council. But if you can’t make it to the meeting, please send an email to:
Identify yourself as a resident of San Luis Obispo County, and be sure to mention if you are a resident of Morro Bay or Los Osos.
Alternatively (or in addition) here is another action you can take to support the marine sancutary: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/save-san-luis-obispo-and-santa-barbara-counties
Let’s show the council the Central Coast supports the Chumash Heritage National Marine Sanctuary!